Observations so far…

Since I am wanting to create a log of what I have observed so far I wanted to write out a few highlights I have noticed so far that connect to classroom management.

• Expectations are everything!! setting clear expectations of what students need or should be doing is incredibly helpful for both the teacher and the student.
  • If you set expectations for students odds are they will meet them. a teacher on our trip to a high school told me this and I thought it was very cleaver. she told me how over a number of years she noticed how well all students were able to “rise to the occasion” in terms of learning when expectations were set for them.
  • Classroom management is all about “you and me” or in other words the relationship between students and teachers. Forming a genuinely caring relationship with your students where you actually know things about them and check in with them is really important. a two-minute conversation with a kid can mean a lot and it also allows a teacher to better relate to their students.
  • Classroom management and overall respect is huge. I have seen who I thought was the best behaved and hardest working kids with one teacher turn to absolutely chaotic kids with a different teacher based on the respect and power dynamic change.

Reflecting on this, these are just a few points I believe that they are all very valuable. most of these observations were things that I hadn’t put too much thought into before. however, I feel like I have a better understanding of classroom expectations and the importance of respectful and caring relationships with students.