Music update 5

I have started learning Christmas songs! I am so excited to be able to play some Christmas songs this year for my friends and family. I have learned to play “Carol of the Bells” just the beginning with a very simple left-hand part which I have slowly been able to play.  This was something a friend showed me and they learned it by ear. after learning the basic beginning part I then learned to play the rest of the right hand by ear which I was very impressed with myself.  I didn’t think that I had a very good ear for music soi was very impressed with myself. The song had a very distinctive melody that I knew well which made it easier to learn from sound. I’m looking forward to learning more!

I have also learned a few other miscellaneous parts of iconic songs. I can play bits from the pink panther theme song, Piano man, Tiny dancer, Adele intro.  I have been using youtube a lot to learn different sections of songs. I struggle with reading the notes on a sheet of music so learning from another person and playing along with them was a very helpful learning approach fro me, However, many of the song tutorials did not fully feature the whole song. This was unfortunate because there are some great resources and many of them want you to pay and sign up on their website to unlock the rest of the tutorial. I ran into this fairly frequently which got a little annoying as a lot of the piano tutorials I found were created by bigger youtube channels. In contrast, when I learned to play the ukulele in the past I was able to find and use full tutorials by smaller channels that were completely free.